Thursday, April 30, 2009

Donne: a fragile concentration

April 30, 2009
    Commemoration of Pandita Mary Ramabai, Translator of the Scriptures, 1922

Meditation:
    And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?
    -- Luke 18:7 (NIV)

Quotation:
    A memory of yesterday’s pleasures, a fear of tomorrow’s dangers, a straw under my knees, a noise in mine ear, a light in mine eye, an any thing, a nothing, a fancy, a chimera in my brain, troubles me in my prayers.
    ... John Donne (1573-1631), Works of John Donne, vol. 3, London: John W. Parker, 1839, p. 477 (see the book)

Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, strengthen me, for my attention to prayer is so weak.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home