Friday, April 24, 2009

Augustine: hidden grace

April 24, 2009
    Commemoration of Mellitus, First Bishop of London, 624

Meditation:
    [Jesus:] "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love."
    -- John 15:9,10 (NIV)

Quotation:
    It is not that we keep His commandments first, and that then He loves; but that He loves us, and then we keep His commandments. This is that grace, which is revealed to the humble, but hidden from the proud.
    ... St. Augustine (354-430), Lectures or Tractates on the Gospel according to St. John, lxxxii.3 (see the book)

Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I am not worthy, but You have granted me Your grace.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
BDTC    search    script

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home