Monday, September 28, 2020

Ryle: world understands humility and love

Monday, September 28, 2020
Meditation:
    To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
    —2 Corinthians 12:7-9 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Humility and love are precisely the graces which the men of the world can understand, if they do not comprehend doctrines. They are the graces about which there is no mystery, and they are within reach of all classes. The poorest... Christian can every day find occasion for practicing love and humility.
    ... J. C. Ryle (1816-1900), Expository thoughts on the Gospels, with the text complete, St. John, v. III, London: William Hunt, 1873, p. 16 (see the book)
    See also 2 Cor. 12:7-9; Matt. 5:16; Rom. 3:12; 1 Cor. 13:4-7; Gal. 5:22-23; 1 Pet. 3:4
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, grant me the humility that I lack.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home