Friday, May 10, 2019

Donne: a fragile concentration

Friday, May 10, 2019
Meditation:
    Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up...
    [Jesus:] “And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?”
    —Luke 18:1,7 (NIV)
Quotation:
    A memory of yesterday’s pleasures, a fear of tomorrow’s dangers, a straw under my knees, a noise in mine ear, a light in mine eye, an any thing, a nothing, a fancy, a chimera in my brain, troubles me in my prayers.
    ... John Donne (1573-1631), Works of John Donne, vol. III, London: John W. Parker, 1839, Sermon LXXX, p.477 (see the book)
    See also Luke 18:1-7; Matt. 7:7; Luke 11:5-13; John 11:21; Rom. 8:26; 1 John 5:14-15
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, strengthen me, for my attention to prayer is so weak.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home