Friday, February 15, 2019

Rauschenbusch: the embryo

Friday, February 15, 2019
    Commemoration of Thomas Bray, Priest, Founder of SPCK, 1730
Meditation:
    “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time,” declares the LORD. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the LORD. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”
    —Jeremiah 31:33-34 (NIV)
Quotation:
    The Hebrew religion was an unfinished religion. That is one of the best proofs of its divine inspiration. The prophets had the forward look. Great things were yet to come. As one of the most daring expressed it, the old and hallowed covenant, made by God at the Exodus, would be superseded by a new and higher relation; God would write his law into the hearts of the people; the old drill in outward statutes would disappear, for all men would know God by an inward experience of forgiveness and love.
    ... Walter Rauschenbusch (1861-1918), The Social Principles of Jesus, New York: Association Press, 1916, p. 87-88 (see the book)
    See also Jer. 31:33-34; Rom. 8:1-4; 2 Cor. 3:3; Heb. 8:10-13; Jas. 1:18
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You have made Yourself known to me.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home