Thursday, February 07, 2019

Bonhoeffer: 2. the ministry of meekness

Thursday, February 7, 2019
Meditation:
    Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
    —1 Corinthians 9:19 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Seven principles for eradicating selfish ambition in the fellowship:
    2. The ministry of meekness

    He who would learn to serve must first learn to think little of himself...
    Only he who lives by the forgiveness of his sin in Jesus Christ will rightly think little of himself. He will know that his own wisdom reached the end of its tether when Jesus forgave him... He will know that it is good for his own will to be broken in the encounter with his neighbour...
    But not only my neighbour’s will, but also his honor is more important than mine... The desire for one’s own honor hinders faith. One who seeks his own honor is no longer seeking God and his neighbour. What does it matter if I suffer injustice? Would I not have deserved even worse punishment from God, if He had not dealt with me according to His mercy?
    ... Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906-1945), Life Together [1954], tr. Daniel W. Bloesch & James H. Burtness, Fortress Press, 2004, p. 96-97 (see the book)
    See also 1 Cor. 9:19; Matt. 19:30; 20:25-28; 26:39; Mark 9:35; Luke 13:30; John 13:13-15; Rom. 15:2-3; Gal. 6:3; Phil. 2:4; Jas. 1:5;
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, keep me from seeking my own vindication.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home