Sunday, February 03, 2019

Thiselton: unveiling the revelation

Sunday, February 3, 2019
    Feast of Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary to Denmark and Sweden, 865
Meditation:
    [The LORD your God] humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
    —Deuteronomy 8:3 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Only by critical questioning can I tell whether I am reading into the text, not only my own presuppositions and questions, but also those of my own generation and even those of my own church and religious tradition. Evangelicals have been too afraid of the word “criticism,” when only by critical questioning can I sufficiently disengage myself from my own worldly or religious (even evangelical) tradition to ask: Is this what the Bible is really saying?
    ... Tony Thiselton (b. 1937), “Understanding God’s Word Today”, in The Lord Christ [1980], John Stott, ed., vol. 1 of Obeying Christ in a Changing World, John Stott, gen. ed., 3 vol., London: Fountain, 1977, p. 104 (see the book)
    See also Deut. 8:3; Ps. 78:23-25; Matt. 4:4; Luke 4:4; Rom. 3:4; 1 Cor. 10:3-4; Eph. 6:17; Heb. 4:12; Rev. 2;16
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I receive Your word as food for my life.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home