Monday, June 06, 2016

Clifford: the vindication of prayer

Monday, June 6, 2016
    Commemoration of Ini Kopuria, Founder of the Melanesian Brotherhood, 1945
Meditation:
    O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.
    —John 17:25-26 (KJV)
Quotation:
    I cannot answer all the curious questions of the brain, concerning Prayer and Law; not half of them, indeed; and I will not attempt it; but ... I will cast my anchor here, in this revealing fact that He, the Holiest of the holy and the Wisest of the wise, He prays: therefore I am assured this anchorage of Divine example will hold the vessel in the tossings of the wildest sea of doubt, and that I shall be safe as He was if the vessel itself is engulfed in the waves of suffering and sorrow. His act is an argument. His prayer is an inspiration. His achievements are the everlasting and all-sufficient vindication of prayer.
    ... John Clifford (1836-1923), Social Worship, London: James Clarke & Co., 1899, p. 54 (see the book)
    See also John 17:25-26; Matt. 14:23; 26:36; Mark 6:46; 14:32; Luke 6:12; 9:28; 11:1
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, implant in me a Spirit that knows how to please You in prayer.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home