Saturday, May 28, 2016

Whitefield: such feeble return

Saturday, May 28, 2016
    Commemoration of Lanfranc, Prior of Le Bec, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1089
Meditation:
    But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
    —Philippians 3:7 (KJV)
Quotation:
    Gladly shall I come whenever bodily strength will allow to join my testimony with yours in Olney pulpit, that God is love. As yet I have not recovered from the fatigues of my American expedition. My shattered bark is scarce worth docking any more. But I would fain wear, not rust, out. Oh! my dear Mr. Newton, indeed and indeed I am ashamed that I have done and suffered so little for Him that hath done and suffered so much for ill and hell-deserving me.
    ... George Whitefield (1714-1770), letter to John Newton, in John Newton: a biography, Bernard Martin, Heinemann, 1950, p.212 (see the book)
    See also Phil. 3:7-9; Matt. 13:44-46; Luke 17:33; Gal. 2:15-16; Col. 1:24
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, nothing can match Your presence in my life.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home