Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Michelangelo: Now hath my life across a stormy sea

Wednesday, April 6, 2016
    Commemoration of Albrecht Dürer, artist, 1528, and Michelangelo Buonarrotti, artist, spiritual writer, 1564
Meditation:
You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
    O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.
    —Psalm 30:11-12 (NIV)
Quotation:
On the Brink of Death.

Now hath my life across a stormy sea,
    Like a frail bark, reached that wide port where all
    Are bidden, ere the final reckoning fall
    Of good and evil for eternity.
Now know I well how that fond phantasy
    Which made my soul the worshipper and thrall
    Of earthly art is vain; how criminal
    Is that which all men seek unwillingly.
Those amorous thoughts which were so lightly dressed,
    What are they when the double death is nigh?
    The one I know for sure, the other dread.
Painting nor sculpture now can lull to rest
    My soul, that turns to His great love on high,
    Whose arms to clasp us on the cross were spread.
    ... Michelangelo Buonarrotti (1475-1564), The Life of Michelangelo Buonarroti, v. II, J. A. Symonds, London: J. C. Nimmo, 1893, p. 309 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 30:11-12; John 6:51; Rom. 4:25; 1 Cor. 9:25; 1 John 2:17
Quiet time reflection:
    Raise me, Lord, to meet You.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home