Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bunyan: abundant grace

Saturday, August 31, 2013
    Feast of Aidan, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 651
    Commemoration of Cuthburga, Founding Abbess of Wimborne, c.725
    Commemoration of John Bunyan, Spiritual Writer, 1688
Meditation:
    [The Father] chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
    —James 1:18 (NIV)
Quotation:
    But upon a day the good providence of God did cast me to Bedford to work on my calling: and in one of the streets of that town, I came where there were three or four poor women sitting at a door in the sun, and talking about the things of God; and being now willing to hear them discourse, I drew near to hear what they said, for I was now a brisk talker also myself in the matters of religion. But now I may say I heard, but I understood not; for they were far above, out of my reach; for their talk was about a new birth, the work of God on their hearts... And methought they spake as if joy did make them speak; they spake with such pleasantness of Scripture language, and with such appearance of grace in all they said, that they were to me as if they had found a new world.
    ... John Bunyan (1628-1688), Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners [1666] The Whole Works of John Bunyan, v. I, London: Blackie, 1862, p. 10 (see the book)
    See also Jas. 1:18; Jer. 33:10,11; Matt. 11:15; John 1:12-13; 3:3-7; Gal. 6:15; Eph. 5:18-20; Tit. 3:4-7; 1 Tim. 1:15-16; 1 Pet. 1:3,23-25; 1 John 2:29
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your people praise You that You gave us new birth.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home