Friday, August 30, 2013

Torrey: organization

Friday, August 30, 2013
Meditation:
[The LORD:] “The wild animals honor me,
    the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the desert
    and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
    the people I formed for myself
    that they may proclaim my praise.
“Yet you have not called upon me, O Jacob,
    you have not wearied yourselves for me, O Israel.”
    —Isaiah 43:20-22 (NIV)
Quotation:
    We live in a day characterized by the multiplication of man’s machinery and the diminution of God’s power. The great cry of our day is work, work, work, new organizations, new methods, new machinery; the great need of our day is prayer. It was a master stroke of the devil when he got the church so generally to lay aside this mighty weapon of prayer. The devil is perfectly willing that the church should multiply its organizations, and deftly contrive machinery for the conquest of the world for Christ if it will only give up praying.
    ... R. A. Torrey (1856-1928), How to Pray, Fleming H. Revell, 1900, p. 128 (see the book)
    See also Isa. 43:20-22; Job 21:14-15; Ps. 14:4; Isa. 64:7; Jer. 10:21; Dan. 9:13; Luke 18:6-8; 1 Thess. 5:17
Quiet time reflection:
    Lead us, Lord, to pray continually.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home