Saturday, June 15, 2013

Underhill: the capacity for suffering

Saturday, June 15, 2013
    Feast of Evelyn Underhill, Mystical Writer, 1941
Meditation:
... for I delight in your commands
    because I love them.
I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love,
    and I meditate on your decrees.
    —Psalm 119:47-48 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Those who complain that they make no progress in the life of prayer because they “cannot meditate” should examine, not their capacity for meditation, but their capacity for suffering and love. For there is a hard and costly element, a deep seriousness, a crucial choice, in all genuine religion.
    ... Evelyn Underhill (1875-1941), The School of Charity, New York: Longmans, Green, 1934, reprinted, Morehouse Publishing, 1991, p. 54 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 119:47-48; Matt. 16:24,25; Col. 3:16,17
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your love was costly.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home