Thursday, June 06, 2013

Torrey: we don't feel like praying

Thursday, June 6, 2013
    Commemoration of Ini Kopuria, Founder of the Melanesian Brotherhood, 1945
Meditation:
In my anguish I cried to the LORD,
    and he answered by setting me free.
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
    What can man do to me?
    —Psalm 118:5-6 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Oftentimes when we come to God in prayer, we do not feel like praying. What shall one do in such a case? cease praying until he does feel like it? Not at all. When we feel least like praying is the time when we most need to pray. We should wait quietly before God and tell Him how cold and prayerless our hearts are, and look up to Him and trust Him and expect Him to send the Holy Spirit to warm our hearts and draw them out in prayer. It will not be long before the glow of the Spirit’s presence will fill our hearts, and we will begin to pray with freedom, directness, earnestness and power. Many of the most blessed seasons of prayer I have ever known have begun with a feeling of utter deadness and prayerlessness; but in my helplessness and coldness I have cast myself upon God, and looked to Him to send His Holy Spirit to teach me to pray, and He has done it.
    ... R. A. Torrey (1856-1928), How to Pray, Fleming H. Revell, 1900, p. 59-60 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 118:5-6; 42:1-2; Matt. 26:36-39; Mark 14:34-36; John 16:23-24; Rom. 8:15,26; Gal. 4:6; Eph. 6:18; Jude 1:20
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, send Your Spirit to teach me prayer.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home