Thursday, April 16, 2009

Singh: motives for worship

April 16, 2009

Meditation:
    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
    -- 1 John 4:18 (NIV)

Quotation:
    Should I worship Him from fear of hell, may I be cast into it. Should I serve Him from desire of gaining heaven, may He keep me out. But should I worship Him from love alone, may He reveal Himself to me, that my whole heart may be filled with His love and presence.
    ... Sadhu Sundar Singh (1889-1929), Meditations on Various Aspects of the Spiritual Life [1926], Kessinger Publishing, 2003, pp. 9-10 (see the book)

Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, purify my love for You.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
QBS    BDTC    search    script

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home