Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Augustine: hidden grace

Wednesday, March 13, 2019
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.”
    —John 15:9-10 (NIV)
Quotation:
    It is not that we keep His commandments first, and that then He loves; but that He loves us, and then we keep His commandments. This is that grace, which is revealed to the humble, but hidden from the proud.
    ... St. Augustine of Hippo (354-430), Lectures or Tractates on the Gospel according to St. John, vol. ii, Marcus Dods, ed., as vol. xi of The Works of Aurelius Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, Edinbugh: T & T Clark, 1884, tract. LXXXII.3, p. 308 (see the book)
    See also John 15:8-11; Matt. 11:25-26; John 3:16; Rom. 5:8; Eph. 2:3-5; Tit. 3:3-5; 1 John 4:10,19
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I am not worthy, but You have granted me Your grace.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home