Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Taylor: evening prayer

Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Meditation:
    The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.
    —Isaiah 9:2 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Visit, I beseech Thee, O Lord, this habitation with Thy mercy, and me with Thy grace and salvation. Let Thy holy angels pitch their tents round about and dwell here, that no illusion of the night may abuse me, the spirits of darkness may not come near to hurt me, no evil or sad accident oppress me; and let the eternal Spirit of the Father dwell in my soul and body, filling every corner of my heart with light and grace. Let no deed of darkness overtake me; and let Thy blessing, most blessed God, be upon me for ever, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
    ... Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667), Holy Living [1650], in The Whole Works of the Right Rev. Jeremy Taylor, D.D., v. III, London: Longman, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1847, p. 40 (see the book)
    See also Isa. 9:2; Ps. 4:8; 46:1-3; 91:1; Pr. 18:10; John 3:19-21; Rom. 13:12; Eph. 5:11; 1 Thess. 5:1-8
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You are filling my life with light.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home