Thursday, January 25, 2024

Ryrie: faith and works

Thursday, January 25, 2024
    Feast of the Conversion of Paul
Meditation:
    What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
    But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
    Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
    —James 2:14-18 (NIV)
Quotation:
    What is said in the passage [James 2:14 ff.] is like a two coupon train or bus ticket. One coupon says, “Not good if detached” and the other says, “Not good for passage.” Works are not good for passage; but faith detached from works is not saving faith.
    ... Charles C. Ryrie (1925-2016), Ryrie Study Bible, Moody Publishers, 1986, note on James 2:24 (see the book)
    See also Jas. 2:14-18; Matt. 7:16-17; Rom. 14:23; 1 Cor. 13:2; Gal. 5:6; 1 Thess. 1:3; Jas. 2:26; 3:13; 2 Pet. 1:5-8
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, forbid my heart to grow cold.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    inst    Jonah &nb sp;  Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home