Sunday, November 13, 2022

Simeon: humiliation

Sunday, November 13, 2022
    Feast of Charles Simeon, Pastor, Teacher, 1836
Meditation:
    So I will establish my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD. Then, when I make atonement for you for all you have done, you will remember and be ashamed and never again open your mouth because of your humiliation, declares the Sovereign LORD.
    —Ezekiel 16:62-63 (NIV)
Quotation:
    With this sweet hope of ultimate acceptance with God, I have always enjoyed much cheerfulness before men; but I have at the same time laboured incessantly to cultivate the deepest humiliation before God. I have never thought that the circumstance of God’s having forgiven me was any reason why I should forgive myself; on the contrary, I have always judged it better to loathe myself the more, in proportion as I was assured that God was pacified towards me.
    ... Charles Simeon (1759-1836), Memoirs of the Life of the Rev. Charles Simeon, Pittsburgh: R. Carter, 1847, p. 303 (see the book)
    See also Ezek. 16:62-63; Job 42:5-6; Pr. 3:34; Matt. 11:19; Mark 9:35; Luke 1:52; 22:26-27; Jas. 4:6
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, remove my stubborn pride.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    inst    Jonah    ; Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home