Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Cogdell: figurative for David, true for Jesus

Tuesday, July 12, 2022
Meditation:
I will extol the LORD at all times;
    his praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the LORD;
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
    —Psalm 34:1-2 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Treating [Psalm 34] as from Jesus adds a beauty and a power to its teachings which would be otherwise missing. What was true for David in a shadowy or figurative sense was literally true for Jesus. For example, in verses 1 and 2, David declared “I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the Lord.” For David this expresses his intention, but this statement is literally and beautifully descriptive of Jesus’ way of life. So it is with the whole psalm.
    ... John R. Cogdell, “The humanity of Jesus Christ, as revealed in certain Psalms”, section II (see the book)
    See also Ps. 34:1-2,22; Matt. 26:52-56; Luke 24:26-27,44
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, place the spirit of praise within me.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    inst    Jonah    ; Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home