Sunday, May 08, 2022

Juliana of Norwich: Pray inwardly

Sunday, May 8, 2022
    Feast of Juliana of Norwich, Mystic, Teacher, c.1417
    Commemoration of Dallas Willard, Teacher, Spiritual Writer, 2013
Meditation:
My tears have been my food
    day and night,
while men say to me all day long,
    “Where is your God?”
These things I remember
    as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go with the multitude,
    leading the procession to the house of God,
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving
    among the festive throng.
Why are you downcast, O my soul?
    Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and my God.
    —Psalm 42:3-6 (NIV)
Quotation:
    [Our Lord] saith thus: Pray inwardly, though thou thinkest it savour thee not: for it is profitable, though thou feel not, though thou see nought; yea, though thou think thou canst not. For in dryness and in barrenness, in sickness and in feebleness, then is thy prayer well-pleasant to me, though thou thinkest it savour thee nought but little. And so is all thy believing prayer in my sight.
    ... Juliana of Norwich (1342?-1417), Revelations of Divine Love, Grace Harriet Warrack, ed., Methuen, 1901, ch. XLI, p. 85-86 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 42:3-8; 116:2; Rom. 8:26; 12:12; 1 Thess. 5:17
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You have sent Your interceding Spirit to pray for Your people.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    inst    Jonah    ; Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home