Saturday, October 09, 2021

Quarles: Eternal God! O thou that only art

Saturday, October 9, 2021
    Commemoration of Denys, Bishop of Paris, & his Companions, Martyrs, 258
    Commemoration of Robert Grosseteste, Bishop of Lincoln, Philosopher, Scientist, 1253
Meditation:
    I belong to my lover, and his desire is for me.
    —Song of Solomon 7:10 (NIV)
Quotation:
Eternal God! O thou that only art
    The sacred fountain of eternal light,
And blessed loadstone of my better part,
    O thou, my heart’s desire, my soul’s delight!
Reflect upon my soul, and touch my heart,
    And then my heart shall prize no good above thee;
And then my soul shall know thee; knowing, love thee;
    And then my trembling thoughts shall never start
    From thy commands, or swerve the least degree,
Or once presume to move, but as they move in thee.
    ... Francis Quarles (1592-1644), Quarles’ Emblems, London: James Nisbet and Co., 1861, p. 272 (see the book)
    See also Song of Solomon 7:10; John 14:15; Gal. 2:20; Phil. 3:8
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You outshine all treasures.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home