Monday, August 17, 2020

Allen: ordained of Christ

Monday, August 17, 2020
Meditation:
    [Peter:] God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us.
    —Acts 15:8 (NIV)
Quotation:
    I do not want bishops to practice the ordination of voluntary clergy [merely] as a plausible policy, for which something can be said. If by persuasive speech I could induce all the bishops in the world to adopt that practice, I think that I should refuse. I do not believe that Christian men should base their action upon such a foundation: I believe that the first blast of difficulty would overthrow them if they did. I try to set forth a truth of Christ which demands obedience. I call upon the church not to adopt a plausible policy, but to repent of a sin; for to make void the word of Christ is sin.
    ... Roland Allen (1869-1947), The Case for Voluntary Clergy, London: Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1930, included in The Ministry of the Spirit, David M. Paton, ed., London: World Dominion Press, 1960, p. 137-138 (see the book)
    See also Acts 15:8; Matt. 15:3-8; Acts 6:2-6; Rom. 4:14-16
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your Spirit ordains all Your people to ministry.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home