Saturday, October 26, 2019

Brother Lawrence: practicing the Presence

Saturday, October 26, 2019
    Feast of Alfred the Great, King of the West Saxons, Scholar, 899
    Commemoration of Cedd, Founding Abbot of Lastingham, Bishop of the East Saxons, 664
Meditation:
    Pray without ceasing.
    —1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV)
Quotation:
    I have quitted all forms of devotion and set prayers but those to which my state obliges me. And I make it my business only to persevere in His holy presence, wherein I keep myself by a simple attention, and a general fond regard to God, which I may call an actual presence of God; or, to speak better, an habitual, silent, and secret conversation of the soul with God, which often causes in me joys and raptures inwardly, and sometimes also outwardly, so great that I am forced to use means to moderate them, and prevent their appearance to others.
    ... Brother Lawrence (c.1605-1691), The Practice of the Presence of God, New York, Revell, 1895, Second Letter, p. 25 (see the book)
    See also 1 Thess. 5:17; Rom. 8:26; 2 Cor. 1:21-22; 5:5; Eph. 1:13-14; 1 John 4:13
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, help me to return to You when my mind wanders.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home