Sunday, December 09, 2018

Carmichael: "spiritual work"

Sunday, December 9, 2018
    Advent II
Meditation:
    When [Jesus] had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.”
    —John 13:12-15 (NIV)
Quotation:
    If by doing some work which the undiscerning consider “not spiritual work” I can best help others, and I inwardly rebel, thinking it is the spiritual for which I crave, when in truth it is the interesting and exciting, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
    ... Amy Carmichael (1867-1951), If [1938], London: SPCK, 1961, p. 43 (see the book)
    See also John 13:12-15; Matt. 10:42; Mark 9:41; 2 Cor. 8:12; 1 Tim. 5:4; Jas. 1:26-27
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, grant that I may never refuse to do a needed service.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home