Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Simeon: repentance

Tuesday, November 13, 2018
    Feast of Charles Simeon, Pastor, Teacher, 1836
Meditation:
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart,
    O God, you will not despise.
    —Psalm 51:17 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Repentance is in every view so desirable, so necessary, so suited to honor God, that I seek that above all. The tender heart, the broken and contrite spirit, are to me far above all the joys that I could ever hope for in this vale of tears.
    I long to be in my proper place, my hand on my mouth, and my mouth in the dust... I feel this to be safe ground. Here I cannot err... I am sure that whatever God may despise... He will not despise the broken and contrite heart.
    ... Charles Simeon (1759-1836), Memoirs of the Life of the Rev. Charles Simeon, Pittsburgh: R. Carter, 1847, p. 405 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 51:17; 34:18; 147:3; Isa. 57:15; 66:2; Matt. 5:3; Luke 5:32; Rom. 12:1
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, lead me to repent in those things that I have not yet yielded to you.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home