Sunday, April 29, 2018

Catherine of Siena: give me Yourself

Sunday, April 29, 2018
    Feast of Catherine of Siena, Mystic, Teacher, 1380
Meditation:
    “Is not my word like fire,” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?”
    —Jeremiah 23:29 (NIV)
Quotation:
    O abyss, O eternal Godhead, O sea profound, what more could You give me than Yourself? You are the fire that burns without being consumed; You consume in Your heat all the soul’s self-love; You are the fire which takes away cold; with Your light You illuminate me so that I may know all Your truth... Clothe me, clothe me with yourself, eternal truth, so that I may run this mortal life with true obedience, and with the light of your most holy faith.
    ... Catherine of Siena (1347-1380), Dialogue 167 from Dialog of Catherine of Siena [1378], Treatise of Obedience, xi. (see the book)
    See also Jer. 23:29; Ex. 3:2; John 1:1-5; Heb. 12:1-2,27-29
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, burn my self-pity and indulgence out of me with Your holiness.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home