Thursday, March 29, 2018

Cogdell: under the surface

Thursday, March 29, 2018
    Maundy Thursday
    Commemoration of Jack Winslow, Missionary, Evangelist, 1974
Meditation:
Save me, O God,
    for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths,
    where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
    the floods engulf me.
I am worn out calling for help;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
    looking for my God.
Those who hate me without reason
    outnumber the hairs of my head;
many are my enemies without cause,
    those who seek to destroy me.
I am forced to restore
    what I did not steal.
    —Psalm 69:1-4 (NIV)
Quotation:
    We usually think of Jesus in the upper room as calmly and patiently preparing his disciples for their coming crisis; only in the garden are we shown his deep anguish over what lies ahead for himself. But if this verse (“They hated me without a cause.” Ps. 69:4) occurred to Jesus as describing his enemies, surely he was also identifying with the rest of [Psalm 69] with its vivid description of overwhelming troubles and importune cries to God for deliverance. What in the upper room was still under the surface was openly expressed in the garden.
    ... John R. Cogdell, “The humanity of Jesus Christ, as revealed in certain Psalms”, section V (see the book)
    See also Ps. 69:1-4; Matt. 26:18,38-39; Mark 14:32-34; Luke 22:42-43; John 15:23-25; 1 Pet. 5:22-23
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, wipe betrayal from my heart.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home