Friday, March 02, 2018

Allen: missionary colonialism

Friday, March 2, 2018
    Feast of Chad, Abbot of Lastingham, Bishop of Lichfield, Missionary, 672
Meditation:
    Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well. If I love you more, will you love me less?
    —2 Corinthians 12:14-15 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Our fear of congregationalism is, I shrink from saying it, only another name for our fear of independence. We think it quite impossible that a native [Anglican] Church should be able to exist without the paternal care of an English overseer. If it were financially independent, it might be tempted to dispense with his services, and then, we are persuaded, it would at once fall into every error of doctrine and practice.
    ... Roland Allen (1869-1947), Missionary Methods: St. Paul’s or ours?, London: World Dominion Press, 1927, reprinted, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1962, p. 60 (see the book)
    See also 2 Cor. 11:8-14; 12:14-18; Phil. 4:14-16; Col. 1:22-23
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your spirit alone animates Your church.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home