Thursday, August 10, 2017

Baillie: Teach me, O God

Thursday, August 10, 2017
    Feast of Lawrence, Deacon at Rome, Martyr, 258
Meditation:
Show me your ways, O LORD,
    teach me your paths;
guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.
    —Psalm 25:4-5 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Teach me. O God, so to use all the circumstances of my life to-day that they may bring forth in me the fruits of holiness rather than the fruits of sin.
    Let me use disappointment as material for patience:
    Let me use success as material for thankfulness:
    Let me use suspense as material for perseverance:
    Let me use danger as material for courage:
    Let me use reproach as material for longsuffering:
    Let me use praise as material for humility:
    Let me use pleasures as material for temperance:
    Let me use pains as material for endurance.
    ... John Baillie (1886-1960) & Donald M. Baillie (1887-1954), A Diary of Private Prayer, New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1939, p. 101 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 25:4-5; 5:8; 86:11; 119:27; Isa. 30:18; John 6:45
Quiet time reflection:
    May the day come soon, Lord, when my conversion to Your way is complete.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home