Sunday, April 16, 2017

Vaughan: I greet Thy sepulcher

Sunday, April 16, 2017
    Easter
Meditation:
    Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.”
    —John 20:17 (ESV)
Quotation:
I greet Thy sepulchre, salute Thy grave,
That blest enclosure, where the angels gave
The first glad tidings of Thy early light,
And resurrection from the earth and night.
I see that morning in Thy convert’s tears,
Fresh as the dew, which but this dawning wears.
I smell her spices; and her ointment yields
As rich a scent as the now primros’d fields:
The Day-star smiles, and light, with the deceased,
Now shines in all the chambers of the East.
    ... Henry Vaughan (1622-1695), The Poetical Works of Henry Vaughan, Boston: Osgood, 1871, p. 179-180 (see the book)
    See also John 20:11-18; Matt. 28:1-7; Luke 24:1-7; John 20:1-8; 1 Cor. 15:13-14
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You are the Light of the world.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home