Sunday, April 30, 2017

Brother Lawrence: failing in duty

Sunday, April 30, 2017
    Commemoration of Pandita Mary Ramabai, Translator of the Scriptures, 1922
Meditation:
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam and the
    mountains quake with their surging.
    —Psalm 46:1-3 (NIV)
Quotation:
    He had no qualms; “for,” said he, “when I fail in my duty, I readily acknowledge it, saying, ‘I am used to do so; I shall never do otherwise if I am left to myself’. If I fail not, then I give God thanks, acknowledging that the strength comes from Him.”
    ... Brother Lawrence (c.1605-1691), The Practice of the Presence of God, New York, Revell, 1895, Second Conversation, p. 13 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 46:1-3; 18:1-2; 1 Cor. 1:25; 2 Cor. 11:30; 12:9; Phil. 4:13; 1 Tim. 1:12
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You have granted me all my strengths and hold me up in all my weaknesses.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home