Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Ambrose: obedience unto death

Wednesday, December 7, 2016
    Feast of Ambrose, Bishop of Milan, Teacher, 397
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] “For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”
    —John 10:17-18 (ESV)
Quotation:
    It is a great mystery of divine love, that not even in Christ was exception made of the death of the body; and although He was the Lord of nature, He refused not the law of the flesh which He had taken upon Him. It is necessary for me to die; for Him it was not necessary.
    ... St. Ambrose of Milan (Aurelius Ambrosius) (339-397), A Select Library of Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, second series, v. X, Philip Schaff & Henry Wace, ed., New York: Christian Literature Company, 1896, p. 61 (see the book)
    See also John 10:17-18; Isa. 53:10-12; Hos. 13:14; Matt. 23:53-56; John 2:19-21; 19:11; Acts 2:24; Phil. 2:6-8; Heb. 2:9, 14-15
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord Jesus, You have become one of us, that we may become like You.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home