Saturday, November 26, 2016

Watts: My God, how endless is Thy love!

Saturday, November 26, 2016
    Commemoration of Isaac Watts, Hymnwriter, 1748
Meditation:
    This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
    —Lamentations 3:21-23 (KJV)
Quotation:
My God, how endless is Thy love!
Thy gifts are ev’ry ev’ning new;
And morning mercies from above
Gently distill like early dew.

Thou spread’st the curtains of the night,
Great guardian of my sleeping hours;
Thy sov’reign word restores the light,
And quickens all my drowsy pow’rs.

I yield my pow’rs to Thy command,
To Thee I consecrate my days;
Perpetual blessings from Thine hand
Demand perpetual songs of praise.
    ... Isaac Watts (1674-1748), Hymns and Spiritual Songs [1707], in Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs, ed. Samuel Melanchthon Worcester, Boston: Crocker & Brewster, 1834, book I, hymn 81, p. 333-334 (see the book)
    See also Lam. 3:21-23; Ps. 30:5; Isa. 33:2; 45:7; Zeph. 3:5
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, all my hope is in You.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home