Saturday, July 16, 2016

Calvin: to God be the glory

Saturday, July 16, 2016
    Commemoration of Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury, 1099
Meditation:
    At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.
    —2 Timothy 4:16-17 (NIV)
Quotation:
    We must always speak of the efficacy of the ministry in such a manner that the entire praise of the work may be reserved for God alone.
    ... John Calvin (1509-1564), Commentary on the Epistles of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians, v. I, W. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1948, p. 289 (see the book)
    See also 2 Tim. 4:16-17; Matt. 10:29-31; 1 Cor. 9:1-12; Eph. 4:11-13
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your Spirit is the author of all true ministry.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah    Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home