Friday, January 22, 2016

de Beaufort: resting on God

Friday, January 22, 2016
Meditation:
Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven,
    whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity,
    and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
    —Psalm 32:1-2 (ESV)
Quotation:
    That when an occasion of practicing some virtue offered, he addressed himself to God, saying, “Lord, I cannot do this unless Thou enablest me;” and that then he received strength more than sufficient.
    That when he had failed in his duty, he simply confessed his fault, saying to God, “I shall never do otherwise if Thou leavest me to myself; it is Thou who must hinder my falling, and mend what is amiss.” That after this, he gave himself no further uneasiness about it.
    ... Joseph de Beaufort (17th C), The Character of Brother Lawrence, in The Practice of the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence, New York, Revell, 1895, p. 10 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 32:1-5; 51:1-5; Jas. 5:16; 1 John 1:8-10
Quiet time reflection:
    Grant me the faith, Lord, to accept Your forgiveness.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home