Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Packer: light on Jesus

Wednesday, July 22, 2015
    Feast of Mary Magdalen, Apostle to the Apostles
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] “When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.”
    —John 15:26 (NIV)
Quotation:
    It is as if the Spirit stands behind us, throwing light over our shoulder, on Jesus, who stands facing us. The Spirit’s message to us is never, “Look at me; listen to me; come to me; get to know me,” but always, “Look at him, and see his glory; listen to him and hear his word; go to him and have life; get to know him and taste his gift of joy and peace.” The Spirit, we might say, is the matchmaker, the celestial marriage broker, whose role it is to bring us and Christ together and ensure that we stay together.
    ... James I. Packer (b. 1926), Keep in Step with the Spirit, Baker Books, 2005, p. 57 (see the book)
    See also John 15:26; 1:29; 6:40; Phil. 3:20-21; Heb. 12:2-3; Rev. 19:9
Quiet time reflection:
    Spirit of God, bring me to Christ.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home