Monday, May 25, 2015

Wesley: O for a heart to praise my God

Monday, May 25, 2015
    Feast of the Venerable Bede, Priest, Monk of Jarrow, Historian, 735
    Commemoration of Aldhelm, Abbot of Mamsbury, Bishop of Sherborne, 709
Meditation:
    [The Lord:] “I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”
    —Ezekiel 36:25-27 (NIV)
Quotation:
O for a heart to praise my God,
    A heart from sin set free,
A heart that always feels Thy blood
    So freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
    My great Redeemer’s throne,
Where only Christ is heard to speak,
    Where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
    Believing, true and clean,
Which neither life nor death can part
    From Christ who dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
    And full of love divine,
Perfect and right and pure and good,
    A copy, Lord, of Thine.
    ... Charles Wesley (1707-1788), A Collection of Hymns, for the use of the people called Methodists, John Wesley, London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1876, p. 322 (see the book)
    See also Eze. 36:25-27; John 14:16-17; Rom. 8:3-4,29; 1 Cor. 3:16; 2 Cor. 4:16-17; Gal. 2:20
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, grant me a heart like Yours.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt    Jonah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home