Monday, April 06, 2015

Michelangelo: Eternal Lord! eased of a cumbrous load

Monday, April 6, 2015
    Commemoration of Albrecht Dürer, artist, 1528, and Michelangelo Buonarrotti, artist, spiritual writer, 1564
Meditation:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
    shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress:
    my God; in him will I trust.
    —Psalm 91:1-2 (KJV)
Quotation:
Eternal Lord! eased of a cumbrous load,
And loosened from the world, I turn to Thee;
Shun, like a shattered bark, the storm, and flee
To thy protection for a safe abode.
The crowns of thorns, hands pierced upon the tree,
The meek, benign, and lacerated face,
To a sincere repentance promised grace,
To the sad soul give hope of pardon free.
With justice mark not Thou, O Light divine,
My fault, nor hear it with thy sacred ear;
Neither put forth that way thy arm severe;
Wash with thy blood my sins; thereto incline
More readily the more my years require
Help, and forgiveness speedy and entire.
    ... Michelangelo Buonarrotti (1475-1564), translated by William Wordsworth in The Complete Poetical Works of William Wordsworth, William Wordsworth, Philadelphia: Troutman & Hayes, 1851, p. 326 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 46:1; 51:2-3,10,17; 62:7-8; 91:1-2; Matt. 27:28-29; Eph. 1:7-8; Heb. 6:18; 1 John 2:12
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your word make me secure.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home