Thursday, January 01, 2015

Johnson: on the new year

Thursday, January 1, 2015
    Feast of the Naming & Circumcision of Jesus
Meditation:
    May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    —1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Almighty God, who hast brought me to the beginning of another year, and by prolonging my life, invitest to repentance, forgive me that I have mispent the time past; enable me, from this instant, to amend my life according to thy holy word; grant me thy Holy Spirit, that I may so pass through things temporal, as not finally to lose the things eternal. O God, hear my prayer for the sake of Jesus Christ. Amen.
    ... Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Prayers and Meditations, London: Vernor, Hood, and Sharpe, 1806, January 1, 1757, p. 22 (see the book)
    See also 1 Thess. 5:23; Mark 10:15; John 17:17; Heb. 2:11; 2 Pet. 1:2-4; 1 John 1:9
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, grant me faithfulness in the year to come.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home