Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Murray: to be helpless

Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Meditation:
    [Jesus:] “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
    —John 15:5 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Workers, here is your first lesson: learn to be nothing, learn to be helpless. The man who has got something is not absolutely dependent; but the man who has got nothing is absolutely dependent. Absolute dependence upon God is the secret of all power in work. The branch has nothing but what it gets from the vine, and you and I can have nothing but what we get from Jesus.
    ... Andrew Murray (1828-1917), Absolute Surrender, Bible Institute Colportage Association, 1897, p. 114 (see the book)
    See also John 15:5-6; 5:19,30; 6:36; Acts 20:24; Rom. 7:18; 2 Cor. 3:5; 12:11; Gal. 6:3; Phil. 2:5-8
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, all goodness in me comes from You.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home