Monday, July 28, 2014

Franck: Jesus, priceless treasure

Monday, July 28, 2014
    Commemoration of Johann Sebastian Bach, musician, 1750
Meditation:
    Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
    —John 15:14 (KJV)
Quotation:
Jesu, priceless treasure,
Source of purest pleasure
    Truest friend to me!
Long my heart has panted,
Till it well-nigh fainted,
    Thirsting after Thee!
Thine I am, O spotless Lamb!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
    Ask for naught beside Thee.

In Thine arm I rest me,
Foes who would molest me
    Cannot reach me here;
Though the earth be shaking
Every heart be quaking,
    Jesus calms my fear;
Sin and hell in conflict fell
With their heaviest storms assail me,
    Jesus will not fail me.

Hence, all thoughts of sadness,
For the Lord of gladness,
    Jesus, enters in!
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
    Still have peace within;
Yea, whate’er we here must bear,
Still in Thee lies purest pleasure,
    Jesu, priceless treasure!
    ... Johann Franck (1618-1677), Christian Singers of Germany, Catherine Winkworth, New York: Macmillan & Co., 1869, p. 228-229 (see the book)
    See also John 15:14-16; Matt. 6:21; 12:50; 13:44-46; John 14:15; 1 Cor. 2:9-10; Col. 2:2-3
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, there is nothing more precious than Your Kingdom.

CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home