Sunday, June 15, 2014

Baillie: to the Trinity

Sunday, June 15, 2014
    Trinity Sunday
    Feast of Evelyn Underhill, Mystical Writer, 1941
Meditation:
    “But what about you?” [Jesus] asked. “Who do you say I am?”
    Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
    —Matthew 16:15-16 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Dear Lord, if at this evening hour I think only of myself and my own condition and my own day’s record of service, then I can find no peace before I go to sleep, but only bitterness of spirit and miserable despair. Therefore, O Father, let me think rather of Thee and rejoice that Thy love is great enough to blot out all my sins. And, O Christ, Thou Lamb of God, let me think of Thee, and lean upon Thy heavenly righteousness, taking no pleasure in what I am before Thee but only in what Thou art for me and in my stead. And, O Holy Spirit, do Thou think within me, and so move within my mind and will that as the days go by I may be more and more conformed to the righteousness of Jesus Christ my Lord; to Whom be glory forever. Amen.
    ... John Baillie (1886-1960) & Donald M. Baillie (1887-1954), A Diary of Private Prayer, New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1939, p. 111 (see the book)
    See also Matt. 16:15-16; 1 Cor. 2:9-11; 2 Cor. 13:14; Phil. 4:6-8; Eph. 3:16-19; 1 Thess. 5:21; Tit. 3:4-7
Quiet time reflection:
    Father, increase my likeness to Your Son, by Your Spirit.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home