Saturday, May 10, 2014

Newbigin: the ground of assurance

Saturday, May 10, 2014
Meditation:
    [The LORD:] “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other. By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.”
    —Isaiah 45:22-23 (NIV)
Quotation:
    The community of faith celebrates the resurrection of Jesus as the ground of assurance that the present and the future are not under the control of blind forces but are open to unlimited possibilities of new life. This is because the living God who was present in the crucified Jesus is now and always the sovereign Lord of history and therefore makes possible a continuing struggle against all that ignores or negates his purpose.
    ... Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998), Foolishness to the Greeks: the Gospel and Western culture, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1986, p. 63 (see the book)
    See also Isa. 45:22-23; Ps. 72:11; Isa. 25:7-8; Hos. 13:14; Rom. 8:10-11; 2 Cor. 4:13-14; Phil. 2:10; 3:10-11; 2 Tim. 1:10; Rev. 1:18
Quiet time reflection:
    Your victory over death has become ours as well, Lord.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home