Monday, April 14, 2014

Barth: betrayal

Monday, April 14, 2014
Meditation:
    When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders.
    “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”
    “What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.”
    So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
    —Matthew 27:3-5 (NIV)
Quotation:
    It might be well for us not to turn away too quickly from Judas, with a feeling of abhorrence. He is nearer to us than we imagine. He did nothing else than to hold this last, inner position of man against God in a critical moment and with obstinacy. He profoundly perceived that with Jesus and himself it was either He or “I,” and he decided for the “I.”
    ... Karl Barth (1886-1968), from “Jesus and Judas”, in Come Holy Spirit: Sermons, New York: Round Table Press, 1933, reprint, Mowbrays, 1978, p. 131 (see the book)
    See also Matt. 27:3-5; Ps. 109:8; Zech.11:12-13; Matt. 26:14-16; Mark 14:43-46; Luke 22:3-6; John 13:27; 1 Pet. 1:18-19
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I confess that I have often betrayed You, seeking my own way.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home