Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Wesley: frequent change of teachers

Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Meditation:
    We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man’s gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
    —Romans 12:6-8 (NIV)
Quotation:
    I know, were I myself to preach one whole year in one place, I should preach both myself and most of my congregation asleep. Nor can I believe it was ever the will of our Lord that any congregation should have one teacher only. We have found by long and constant experience, that a frequent change of teachers is best.
    ... John Wesley (1703-1791), letter to Samuel Walker, 3 Sep 1756, The Letters of the Rev. John Wesley, v. III, The Epworth Press, 1931, p. 195 (see the book)
    See also Rom. 12:6-8; Ps. 34:11; Eph. 4:11-13; 1 Tim. 5:17; 2 Tim. 2:2
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, give wisdom to the teachers You have ordained.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home