Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sadgrove & Wright: salvation

Thursday, October 24, 2013
Meditation:
    This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
    —Jeremiah 29:10-14 (NIV)
Quotation:
    [Continued from yesterday]
    Thus the Exodus is accompanied by the law and the sacrifices, pointers to that right relationship with God which was intended to characterize the (politically liberated) people of God. And the return from exile is to be achieved in the context of the work of the Servant who will deal not only with outward enslavement but with the sin of the people. There are no half measures in the Old Testament doctrine of salvation.
    ... Michael Sadgrove (b. 1950) & N. T. Wright (b. 1948), “Jesus Christ the Only Saviour”, in The Lord Christ [1980], John Stott, ed., vol. 1 of Obeying Christ in a Changing World, John Stott, gen. ed., 3 vol., London: Fountain, 1977, p. 66 (see the book)
    See also Lev. 26:6; Ex. 20:2; 29:46; Ps. 62:1-2; 95:1; 114:1-2; Isa. 1:18; 51:11; 53:4-5; 56:1; Jer. 29:10-14; 32:42-44; Matt. 1:21; 1 Tim. 2:5-6; 1 John 2:2
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, You save Your people.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home