Thursday, April 11, 2013

Machen: trust

Thursday, April 11, 2013
    Commemoration of George Augustus Selwyn, first Bishop of New Zealand, 1878
Meditation:
    And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.
    —2 Timothy 1:11-12 (NIV)
Quotation:
    It is vain, then, to speak of reposing trust in the Person without believing the message. For trust involves a personal relation between the one who trusts and him in whom the trust is reposed. And in this case the personal relation is set up by the blessed theology of the Cross.
    ... J. Gresham Machen (1881-1937), Christianity and Liberalism, The Macmillan Company, 1923, p. 44 (see the book)
    See also 2 Tim. 1:11-12; Ps. 9:10; 31:5; Isa. 53:1; John 1:11-13; Rom. 10:12-15; Phil. 3:8-11
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, I trust in You because of Your Cross.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home