Monday, April 22, 2013

Forsyth: the pulpit and the press

Monday, April 22, 2013
Meditation:
    Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
    —Ephesians 6:19-20 (NIV)
Quotation:
    Between the press and the pulpit there is this mighty difference. The pulpit has a Word, the press has none... The one has a Gospel which is the source of its liberty, the other has no Gospel but liberty, which in itself is no Gospel at all. Liberty is only opportunity for a Gospel... The press may offer an opinion as to how the public should act, but the pulpit is there with a message as to whom the acting public must obey and trust. The press is an adviser, but the pulpit is a prophet; the press may have a thought, the pulpit must have a Gospel, nay a command.
    ... P. T. Forsyth (1848-1921), Positive Preaching and Modern Mind, New York: A. C. Armstrong & Son, 1907, p. 43 (see the book)
    See also Eph. 6:19-20; Matt. 10:27-28; Acts 4:29; 28:31; Rom. 8:21; 1 Cor. 1:5-6; 2 Cor. 3:17; Gal. 5:1; Col. 4:3-6; 1 Thess. 2:2; Jude 1:3
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, Your Gospel is salvation to all who believe.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home