Friday, January 18, 2013

Carmichael: speaking the truth in love

Friday, January 18, 2013
    Commemoration of Amy Carmichael, Founder of the Dohnavur Fellowship, 1951
Meditation:
    Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ.
    —Ephesians 4:15 (NIV)
Quotation:
    If I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, “You do not understand,” or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other’s highest good, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
    If I am content to heal a hurt slightly, saying Peace, peace, where there is no peace; if I forget the poignant words, “Let love be without dissimulation” [Rom. 12:9] and blunt the edge of truth, speaking not right things but smooth things, then I know nothing of Calvary love.
    ... Amy Carmichael (1867-1951), If [1938], London: SPCK, 1961, p. 24-25 (see the book)
    See also Ps. 55:21; Rom. 12:9-18; Eph. 4:14-16; 1 Tim. 1:5; Jas. 2:15-16; 1 Pet. 1:22
Quiet time reflection:
    Lord, before the Cross, I am broken.
CQOD    Blog    email    RSS
    search    script    mobile
sub    fb    twt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home